Top 12 Tips for safety of Transformers
While using the machines that produce high amount of voltages, like transformers, it is really very important for you to keep some safety precautions to prevent yourself from the risk.
When the loose end takes place, sometimes we just neglect the risk. The situation of emergency could come up which leads to damage or injury. All you have to do is to just have the basic knowledge about the design and installation of the transformer that will surely ensure you to provide a successful operation.
Followings are some transformer machinery practices which can be used in any type of machinery which are totally independent of the system type or manufacturer.
Tips for Transformer Safety
1. First, you have to monitor or observe the transformer before installing it, check out for any burnt odour, all the wires and cables should be tightened. All the unsuitable or cracked cords, cables or plugs must be checked.
2. Must check your machine regularly to minimize or reduce the breakdown or failure of the transformer.
3. Keep the power off. Whenever you perform any work, just make the machine de-energized. Checkout for the circuit, it should be properly shut down or tagged out. Make sure there should not be any kind of leakage in the system.
4. Always pay close attention to system overloading. Instead of operating one mere transformer, can use multiple transformers to maintain the balance.
5. One should use the proper protective equipment while working on transformers and must pay close attention to the specific ratings for the voltage output of the transformers.
6. Always keep this point in your mind. Never ever try to modify the overcurrent protection of circuits and conductors of a transformer to enhance and increase the permissible current of the transformer. The overcurrent protection which is flowing should be appropriately maintained at the right level as the standards given on equipment.
7. Be certain your transformer machinery is grounded, because the grounding removes the static charge. The main advantage of grounding is, it protects the windings of the transformer from contacting with a core.
8. Always record the transformer’s activity, the power source for control circuit should be equivalent after interlocks when the equipment is disconnect.
9. All the nuts, tools, spare bolts should not fall into or onto the transformers that should be properly tightened.
10. Place your transformer at suitable environment; the components must be dry and away from water or any kind of moisture.
11. Mention the caution board or sign to prevent the risk when any maintenance operation is performed.
12. If you ever witness that the transformer is functioning differently, quickly shut it off, take out all the cables safely and observe it and try to analyze which part is working irregularly.
Though transformer is a powerful device and a very important source for energy whether in-house or any industry but there are lots of risks related to it. So you must have to take care for that. To reduce your burden, while operating must have taken a number of safety measures.
The first question should arise in your mind be “How to find the best transformer for your industry”?? Don’t worry, our previous article will give the answer for this question and help you out for selecting the right one.
So these are the ways by which you can secure your transformer and prevent any hazardous risk or damage.